Tuesday, 13 July 2010

Albury and its chimneys



When Henry Drummond, who had purchased Albury Park in 1819, decided to remodel the manor house and expand the park around the house in 1842, the old village, which stood along the Tillingbourne stream, simply had to go. Only the old parish church of St Peter and St Paul was left standing. Commoners were relocated half a mile to the west in a hamlet then known as Weston Street, where new houses were built for them. All are different and the result is rather pleasant as illustrated by the group above. To the left is Weston Dene, built c. 1860. Next is a former row of shops. The building is actually divided into three houses. The one on the left started as a haberdasher's, before becoming a doctor's surgery and later a chemist's. As the village forge was located just in front, the central one is known as Farriers Cottage. Finally the house on the right used to be the post office. Barely visible on the right is the old school, which now houses the Village Hall.

What really catches the visitors' attention are the tall chimneys that rise above several buildings.


It is believed these were designed by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin, who worked on several projects for Henry Drummond. In 1839 he redecorated the transept of the old parish church and transformed it into the mortuary chapel for the Drummond family. One year later he began working with William McIntosh Brooks on the Catholic Apostolic Church built on the edge of Albury Park for the Irvingite sect, of which Drummond was a staunch supporter. Finally between 1846 and 1852 he was given the task of rebuilding the manor house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter